Today I went to a funeral. Not the most uplifting event, but in a way, it kind of was. A funeral is really the celebration of a life. The life that was celebrated today was a great, old life. It was a life that cared for his family and made and impression on anyone that it touched. It was a caring life, a loving life, a happy life. A life that survived a few years of WWII in the Pacific, a life that met its life partner 59 years ago. A life that produced 3 successful sons, 3 successful grandchildren, and 3 successful businesses. I am glad that this life was able to be a part of my life, if only on the outskirts and through stories. Knowing how much this life meant to its family, is enough to know how important it was. The eulogies given were heartfelt and meaningful, the song that was performed was beyond compare and the day was beautiful. You could tell that this life was proud to be celebrated. Thank you Mr. A. for having a wonderful life.
sidenote - going to a funeral during Easter made me realize I really don't want to die during Lent - you can't say Alleluia.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Life and death
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Actually, I think you can. I remember singing a funeral during Lent and we sang Victory, which has many Alleluias in it. I believe that the miracle of life everlasting for the deceased trumps Lent. (Okay, so priests and bishops probably don't say "trumps" in their theological discussions, but you know what I mean.)
You think beautiful thoughts.
Post a Comment